Hey guys, off to the hospital again. In case I don’t get the modules to you in time, please answer the following guide questions. You can get all the info you need from the powerpoint (Endocrine system) and the hardcore Bio book.
- What are hormones?
- Relate the function of the endocrine system with that of the nervous system.
- Differentiate between (+) and (-) feedback. Why are feedback mechanisms important in regulating hormone production?
- Why can hormones only affect specific cells and not others?
- Describe the role of hormones in invertebrates.
- Differentiate between the mode of action of a peptide/protein hormone vs that of a steroid/thyroid hormone.
- Why are signal transduction pathways important?
- Describe the role of the hypothalamus in the endocrine system.
- Describe the sources and functions of the hormones found in p.899 of your \m/ bio book.
- Describe the role of negative feedback in the regulation of thyroid hormones and maintenance of blood glucose levels.
- Describe the roles of the hormones (GnRH, LH, FSH, estrogen, progesterone) secreted by the hypothalamus, anterior pituitary gland, and ovary in regulating the female reproductive cycle.
- Compare asexual and sexual reproduction and discuss advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Describe the different mechanisms of asexual reproduction (e.g. fission, budding, gemmules, fragmentation).
- Relate the choice of reproductive strategy with the availability of mates and resources, environment, and the lifestyle of the organism.
- Compare internal and external fertilization and discuss advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Enumerate the parts and describe the functions of the male and female reproductive systems.
- Compare the structure of the sperm cell with that of the egg cell.
- Describe the events that occur during fertilization.