Instructions for today (6/13) and tomorrow (6/14):
Please split up into your lab groups for this day’s SW. Your activity for today and tomorrow will be to accomplish the following goals. You may do this in the classroom or in the library. Please accomplish the following tasks as a group and submit the requirements as a group as well.:
- Read the handout, “Eleven themes that unify biology.”
- Locate a short article in a magazine or online (could be a news/magazine/educational story) that involves the theme of biology assigned to you and at least one other theme.
- For instance, this article (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/06/120606-americans-heads-getting-bigger-science-health-skulls-evolution/) shows the themes of
- evolution in the increase in brain size of Americans in recent time periods, and
- interaction with the environment as excess food and better healthcare may have led to bigger brains.
- On one whole sheet of paper, provide the following information about the article:
- Source (website/title of the magazine),
- Date published,
- Short (3-5 sentences) summary, and
- the themes of biology shown in the article.
- Find a picture that shows the theme assigned to you. For instance, (http://ocean.si.edu/ocean-photos/biomimicry-shark-denticles) shows the close up view of scales that cover the skin of sharks. The flat V-shaped decrease drag and turbulence allowing the shark to swim faster and more quietly.
- Provide a 1-3 sentence caption that clearly explains how the picture relates with the theme assigned to you. Send the caption and a link of the picture to firstname.lastname@example.org or print it out.
Please submit the one whole sheet and the picture to me by Thursday. Hard copies should be placed in my shelf at SHB 112 (Bio Unit) by
Thursday, 445 PM Friday, 445PM.
Please email me if you have any questions about the SW assigned. Thank you!