- Differentiate between DNA and RNA viruses in terms of how they reproduce inside a cell.
- Differentiate between the lytic and lysogenic cycles.
- Give examples of viruses that undergo a)lytic cycle, b)lysogenic cycle, and c)both.
- Describe what happens during bacterial transduction as well as its implications.
- Describe theories on how viruses may have evolved.
- Differentiate between viruses, viroids, virions, and prions.
Classification of Living Organisms
- What are the characteristics of a good biological system of classification?
- Differentiate between taxonomy, phylogeny, and systematics.
- Differentiate between the early concept of species and the biological species concept.
- What are the conventions that scientists follow in writing scientific names?
- List the levels of classification of living organisms.
- Describe the bases used to classify living organisms.
- What kind of information can you get from a phylogenetic tree and a cladogram?
- Summarize the characteristics of each of the three domains and six kingdoms of the currently-accepted three-domain system of classification.