24 Sept, Th (3PM, after the Bio Perio)
- Submit notebooks with First Quarter Notes (attach course outline) (up to 3% of grade)
- Return/submit ungraded/revised SWs (up to 8% of grade)
- Submit Data Sheet + Answers to Questions for the Mitosis in Onion Root Cells Activity (part of the 20% for lab activities)
- Bio2 Postquarter Exam for those who missed the long test OR two quizzes
5 Oct, M (5PM)
- Last day for submission of Portfolio (5% of grade)
- Last day to answer the online end-of-quarter reflections (up to 1% of grade)
Bio2 First Periodic Exam General Guide Questions for Review for GravPhoTruth
- What are tropisms? Give examples of these.
- Describe the roles of abscisic acid, auxin, cytokinin, ethylene, and gibberellin in regulating plant growth.
- Describe how the Darwin and Went experiments led to the discovery of auxin as the major factor behind phototropism.
- What are hormones?
- Relate the function of the endocrine system with that of the nervous system.
- Differentiate between (+) and (-) feedback. Why are feedback mechanisms important in regulating hormone production?
- Why can hormones only affect specific cells and not others?
- Describe the role of hormones in invertebrates.
- Differentiate between the mode of action of a peptide/protein hormone vs that of a steroid/thyroid hormone.
- Why are signal transduction pathways important?
- Describe the role of the hypothalamus in the endocrine system.
- Describe the sources and functions of the hormones found in p.899 of your \m/ bio book.
- Describe the role of negative feedback in the regulation of thyroid hormones and maintenance of blood glucose levels.
- Describe the roles of the hormones (GnRH, LH, FSH, estrogen, progesterone) secreted by the hypothalamus, anterior pituitary gland, and ovary in regulating the female reproductive cycle.
- Compare asexual and sexual reproduction and discuss advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Describe the different mechanisms of asexual reproduction (e.g. fission, budding, gemmules, fragmentation).
- Relate the choice of reproductive strategy with the availability of mates and resources, environment, and the lifestyle of the organism.
- Compare internal and external fertilization and discuss advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Enumerate the parts and describe the functions of the male and female reproductive systems.
- Compare the structure of the sperm cell with that of the egg cell.
- Describe the events that occur during fertilization.
- Describe the events that occur during development.
Mitosis and the Cell Cycle
- Enumerate the roles of cell division.
- Describe the events in the G1, S, G2, and M phases of cell cycle.
- Differentiate between the following: centromere, centrioles, centrosomes; chromatin and chromosomes; sister chromatids and daughter chromosomes; interphase, mitosis, cytokinesis.
- Differentiate mitosis in a plant cell from mitosis in an animal cell.
- Describe the G1, G2, and Spindle assembly checkpoints.
- Describe five factors that control the cell cycle.
- Describe the behavior of cancer cells.
- Enumerate the causes of and therapies for cancer.